DIY Minky Baby Blanket

Hi all,

So I finally got my sewing machine working and got the motivation to try a baby blanket. My cousin is having a baby boy at the end of July, and I really wanted to make an OSU themed baby blanket for the little buckeye. I looked to a few different pinterest tutorials and kind of combined them all to make it work for me! Hopefully this is easy to follow and you can be inspired to create your own little blanket doodles too!.

Materials

  • 1.5 yards of Minky
  • 1.5 yards of other soft material (I used fleece)
  • thread to match
  • scissors
  • measuring tape
  • pen
  • sewing machine

I wanted to use a soft cotton fabric but they didn’t have it in a Ohio State pattern so I went with the fleece.

IMG_0083

To start, I laid out the minky material and measured 40″x40″, marked it, and cut it out. This seemed to be a lot of fabric but I went with it, and I’m glad I did! More on that later…

I then did the same with the fleece. For whatever reason, I managed to cut the minky almost perfectly straight, but the fleece not so much. Below are some photos of my crooked cutting.

IMG_0084 IMG_0085

So that’s why I was glad I cut the pieces pretty large to begin with. I ended up just cutting down the edges so they were all straight and even, and didn’t really worry about size because it is for a baby.

I then pinned the sides right side together all the way around and just sewed them up. I didn’t take any photos of the sewing process but I can say I made A LOT of mistakes. This is my first big sewing project ever, and also the first time I’ve sewed in a loooongggg time so I kinda just wung it. It was hard for me to sew in a perfectly straight line and in some places ended up stitching only one piece of fabric. This left a gap, which I ended up using to turn the blanket inside out. I just used straight stitches to sew, and don’t forget to back stitch!!

So a tip I would give when sewing, especially if you’re a newbie would be give yourself a lot of seem allowance. I tried to do about an Inch but after going crooked and going off the fabric I gave myself more of an inch and a half/ two inches, and that worked a lot better.

After everything was sewed up, and I left a hole to turn the blanket right side out, I clipped the corners of the blanket turned it right side out, and pushed the corners out. I then sewed up the little gap and ta da! It was done. This whole blanket took probably an hour, if that. The fabric was $30, which is kinda pricey, but this blanket is made with love, and is just what I wanted. It ended up being 36″x36″ which is fine, I wasn’t concerned about making it perfectly square since I had to trim a lot, and I had some sewing oopsies, but it ended up fine! Below is the final product!

IMG_0089

I was really nervous that the crooked sewing would be an issue but once turned right, you couldn’t even tell. I also was worried that when stitching the little hole closed it might look messy but nope it was fine! Overall I’m really pleased with this project and am actually inspired to try out more sewing! If you decide to make a minky blanket for your little ones, or even yourself send me a picture and tell me how it goes! Good luck on your own creative doodles!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s